The passport photo must meet certain criteria to be accepted. It is not enough to take a photo of yourself in your pajamas and hope it will look good on your passport.
Your passport photo is needed for travel purposes, such as entering or leaving another country, and also for government-approved documents. The quality of your passport photo should be good enough for officials to easily identify you.
When it comes to proper attire, there are a few things to consider:
- Most of the space in a passport photo is taken up by the face. However, the shoulders are partially visible. A blouse or shirt is ideal for a passport photo.
- Wide-cut shirts are not recommended.
- Jewelry on the ears or a chain around the neck should not be a problem.
- If the background is light, dark clothing is recommended; if the background is dark, clothing should ideally be rather light.
- A tie or a very expensive outfit for a passport photo is by no means mandatory.
- Headgear such as a cap should not be worn.
- The eyes should not be hidden behind sunglasses; only a normal visual aid is allowed.
- For a passport photo, you should dress as you would for a job or going to the authorities.
When taking a photo, don't smile too much because facial expressions distort your face and make a passport photo inadmissible. Look straight into the camera lens, keep your torso straight, and make sure you don't blink until the photo is ready.
Tip: If you have light hair, you should choose a dark gray background; if your hair is dark, the background can be light.